Christmas is just around the corner, and we just know you'll soon be hitting up Google to find an easy recipe to break out at family gatherings, school events and festive parties. Enter Laura Ford's insanely yummy (and ridiculously easy) recipe for Peppermint Chocolate Bark, a one baking tray only sweet treat that everyone from the young to the young at heart will love.
From Laura Ford...
Chocolate and mint is my FAVOURITE flavour combo of all time. There is just something so perfect about tingly cooling mint when it’s paired with rich chocolate. I especially love that at Christmas time, there are so many choc-minty flavoured things. This is a great recipe to try with the kids over Christmas as it’s a lot of fun to make and allows the kids to get creative in the kitchen. It also makes for the yummiest gift idea too. Hope you all have a safe and Merry Christmas!
300g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
180g white chocolate, broken into pieces
A few drops of peppermint essence
1-2 drops of red food colouring
4 peppermint candy canes, crushed into pieces
8 mint Oreos, chopped into pieces
180g bag M&Ms, pick out the red and green M&Ms only
1. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and set aside
2. Melt dark chocolate in a double boiler by placing dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl and placing the bowl over a small amount of water into a saucepan, ensuring the water does not touch the bowl. Place the saucepan onto the stove, bring the water to a simmer and allow the chocolate to melt gently. Once melted add a few drops of peppermint essence and stir to combine.
3. Pour the melted dark chocolate onto the lined tray and spread out evenly. Sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of the crushed candy canes over the top and allow to cool.
4. While the dark chocolate is cooling, start on the white chocolate layer. Place the white chocolate in a clean heatproof bowl and melt by placing the bowl over a simmering saucepan of water. Once white chocolate has melted, add a few drops of peppermint essence and stir to combine.
5. Drizzle the white chocolate over the dark chocolate, leaving 1 tbsp of white chocolate in the bowl. Add 1-2 drops of red food colouring to the remaining white chocolate and stir well to combine. Drizzle the pinky/red chocolate over the white and dark chocolate.
6. While the chocolate is still warm, scatter over the remaining crushed candy canes, mint Oreo pieces and red and green M&Ms. Place in the fridge to set for at least 2 hours. Once set, cut into pieces to serve.